INTERNSHIP AND VOLUNTEER PROGRAM
making stones for houses and water tanks by volenteers
Lwerudeso provides opportunity for students to do their community practice so as to add on their skills gained from school. We do our level best to help them transfer their theory to practical.
Since June 2009 Lwengo rural development support organisation started working with Be More from the Netherlands. Every year we receive volunteers that are experiencing African life in rural setting. Everyone is welcome to join and volunteer with us. Later on the work of Be More was taken over by DoingGoood and the Peace Corps (see Partnerships tab)
Volunteers while at our organisation are given opportunity to participate in various community engagement activities and these include;
- Home based care activities like cleaning and construction of houses of vulnerable families.
- Building fuel saving stoves and water harvesting tanks.
- Carrying out needs assessments in community and create awareness about minority groups in the community for example the disabled children.
- Facilitating the learning of children and rural women.
- Health and life skills education.
- Games and sports training for children.
- Rehabilitation of disabled children.
- Promoting girl child education through promotion of reusable Afripads to the very vulnerable rural girls and their mothers
Lwerudeso is trying to have a sustainable source of funding in all possible aspects. Since we work with international volunteers and interns, we wish to set up back packers to provide safe accommodation services that in turn may earn us some supplementary income to the project budget.
The work is underway with the building in place, space and so we are struggling to raise more resources to build it to the required standard.